The BFG Paper Plate Dream Catchers Craft


One of my favorite childhood books is now a Disney movie – The BFG. Months ago in preparation for the movie coming out, I bought my daughter a Roald Dahl collection. (A summer reading list from mom.) And I was thrilled for her excitement as she too fell in love with The BFG and Matilda. She can’t stop talking about seeing the movie. Inspired by the story we decided to make The BFG paper plate dream catchers.
The BFG Dream Catchers

If your kids haven’t read the books, I highly recommend the whole collection. (Matilda and James and the Giant Peach are also must reads!) I always like to read the book before I see the movie, and new Disney version of The BFG is fabulous. If you haven’t read the books or seen the movie, get them below! The purpose of the dream catchers will become so much clearer once your children know the story.

The BFG Paper Plate Dream Catchers

The beautiful thing about paper plate dream catchers is that there are unlimited possibilities to decorate them, so each one is unique and colorful. 
Materials
  • Paper plates (cheap, uncoated plates work best)
  • Yarn
  • Crayons
  • Sequins
  • Glitter
  • Feathers
  • Pony beads
  • Glue
  • Scissors
  • Hole punch <- My favorite punch!
Directions
The first step is to have a parent cut out the center of the paper plate leaving just the outer ring. Then I showed my oldest (8) how to use a hole punch to punch wholes along the inner edge of the ring. We also placed two holes at the top of the ring (for hanging) and three holes at the bottom (to hang feathers). 
After that let kids use their imaginations decorate one or both sides of the paper ring with crayons, sequins, glitter and anything else that makes them happy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scissor Skills Jellyfish Craft

DIY Snowy Mason Jar Luminaries